Domestic economy will gradually improve
U.S.--GE Capital says in its ‘Fall 2014 Industry Update on Truck Transportation’ that through much of 2014, carriers have benefitted from a near “goldilocks ” supply/demand environment with profit tailwinds highlighted by strengthening freight trends, pricing leverage due to tight capacity and declining diesel prices.
Additionally, GE economists remain optimistic that the domestic economy will continue to gradually improve and expect real U.S. GDP growth to accelerate from 2.1 per cent in 2014 to 2.6 per cent in 2015. However, the environment is not entirely absent of challenges.
Highlights from the report include:
- ATA Truck Tonnage Index (Seasonally Adjusted)
- Cass Freight Index – Shipments
- FTR Truck Tonnage Index (Seasonally Adjusted)
- Transportation Services Index (Freight)
- Class 8 Capacity Utilization